Need a quick review of the boating rules and regs? Try these:
- Any size motor boat needs registration, numbers on bow hull (MS #### WS), life jackets, fire extinguisher, horn, whistle or bell, anchor with line, and bailer.
- Any boat with a motor MUST be registered. Registration MUST be in the boat.
- You need one life jacket (that fits!) for every passenger on the boat. (out of the package, accessible, and in good condition- no rips or cracks!)
- Children under 12 MUST wear life jacket at ALL times.
- You must be 18 or over to drive a jetski/personal watercraft or be 16-17 AND have passed the Boating Basic Course with your certificate on your person. NO ONE CAN OPERATE UNDER 16.
- Kayak/canoe MUST have a whistle or other signalling devise.
- No waterskiing or tubing through or in the channel. Maintain headway speed – no more than 6 mph.
- At night: all boats with a motor need red/green bow light and white stern light. Non-motorized need flashlight, lantern or headlamp worn in back.
- No drinking or possession of an open container of an alcohol beverage on the water. See Sutton’s Open Container Law.
- Common sense.
May 22 – 28 Safe Boating Week! Be careful out there!
|BOAT SMART FROM THE START, WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET!|